Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Getting back on the horse

After taking the last week and a half off from running in a futile attempt to nurse my knee back to health, I AM BACK. Well to blogging that is. The first run back last night was rather frustrating as 1. it was NOT very springlike out aka far too cold/windy/rainy/nasty to be running in shorts and t-shirt outside and, more importantly, 2. my knee started flaring up literally half a mile down the Westside Highway. I carried on and did around four miles, not nearly as far as I would have liked to go but I didn't want to overdue it and miss out on gorgeous outdoor runs later this week. It's going to be 68 degrees on Thursday!!! This fact warrants many many exclamation points.

What are you looking forward to as the weather finally starts to warm up?

Either way, I think it's time I bite the bullet and go see a sports therapist to get my knee checked out. It feels like cotton balls are being pulled apart under my knee cap - that's not normal right? Clearly proved that I'm capable of running through the pain but it's not exactly an ideal or sustainable situation. In the meanwhile, I'll limit my running to only 2 times a week (super sadface) and continue crosstraining. Unfortunately, my forays into non-running workouts over the past week have by and large left me unsatisfied and longing to lace up my shoes and go for a jog around Tompkins Square Park. I've tried to focus on activities that will maintain my aerobic fitness while targeting key muscles that need to be rebalanced. In other words, loosen up my calves and hamstrings.

Here's the rundown:

1. Power Vinyasa Yoga: Brushed off my very under-used yoga mat and trotted up St. Mark's to Yoga to the People a few times last week. Tip to anyone who lives in the area - this place is AWESOME (albeit pretty intense). The studio offers free yoga classes with just a $2 mat rental fee and a suggested donation of whatever you can afford. I have yet to be a class that wasn't jam packed so be sure to show up at least 15 minutes before class begins. Luckily they have a ton of sessions even a 9pm one for us late working banker girls. Vinyasa is one of the most aerobic types of yoga, which is perfect for me since I am not well suited to sit around and say 'Ohm' for an hour. ADD, whaaat? And although the YTTP studio isn't heated, with so many people it definitely gets ridiculously hot Bikram style and you work up a mad sweat.
Overall: A- for a good aerobic workout and much needed stretching out of my hamstrings. Slight drawback of utterly embarrassing myself in the camel asana.

2. Elliptical: Ugh. Okay, I know that ellipticals are good for knee injuries since you can closely mimic the motion of running with no pressure on your joints. Fine. But does it have to be so boring? Also, the elliptical basically exercise the same muscles used in running thus failing to strengthen my quads in order to balance out the posterior thigh muscles. Fail.
Overall: C- for being really boring, not strengthening underused muscles, and making me feel like a Jane Hoya at Yates.

3. Stationary Bike: While the bike maybe equally boring, at least I can get a solid workout when the resistance is ramped up. And, more importantly, the bike is the perfect way to target lateral and medial quad muscles with minimal strain on my knee. Might try my first spin class this week to mix things up.
Overall: B for offering a decent workout and meeting most of my crosstraining goals. Still find myself staring jealously at the runners after the first 20 minutes of biking...

Up next: NYRR Colon Cancer Challenge 15K in Central Park on March 28! Sadly the race has already reached it's cap, but Smithies and I would definitely be happy to see some of y'all at the finish line! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I'm good to go in two weeks...

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite memories from freshman year is still you attempting to do yoga while I vented boy problems to you, and you told me to "calm down grasshopper." And come on, don't your ellipticals have tvs attached? Great time to catch up on your office reruns :)

    GO SEE A DOCTOR- please don't need a knee replacement in addition to your heart attack by 25...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you have the same knee issues at me, but the two doctors I saw after frosh year basically told me that there wasn't much structurally wrong with me, and that quad strengthening was one of the best ways to ensure patellar stability; add Motrin for anti-inflammatory, etc. etc. Something else that I found that helped (not as much as my knee braces, but less bulky) was tying pre-wrap in a band around the middle of my knee, in between the knee cap and the bone. It helps keep your knee cap from sliding around as much, and alleviated a bit of pressure.

    Thus ends my pseudo-medical advice, based on lots of GU trainers' and doctors' motley and incohesive advice to me during crew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with being a Jane Hoya at Yates?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emi, I had completely forgotten about that! And sadly the ellipticals at Citi's gym are pretty ghetto-fab, so no individual TVs. :(

    Def will try out the wrapping tips, Kim, and just need to suck it up and do some machines with quad exercises. They're so intimidating though...

    And Ben, YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT! Next thing you know I'll be calling a handful of blanched almonds and a stick of celery a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

    I do the advanced-level 30-second intervals on the stationery bike 2-3 times a week and it really makes a difference with my endurance on my long runs. I highly recommend it.

    Best of luck with the knee.

    ReplyDelete