Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring is in the air!

And I've fallen in love with New York City all over again. Something about hyacinths and outdoor runs in shorts and a tank top restores my faith in humanity.

On Friday, I took the day off from work (!!!) to take care of some long overdue errands / get my life in a semblance of working order. Mission moderately accomplished; however, the 70 degree weather distracted me from getting a new passport. After two hours in the DMV line, the prospect of another encounter with bureaucracy at its worst was unimaginable. Instead, I was lured over to the East River Park to do some of serious speed work. Did two miles warm-up at half-marathon pace (9:20) then did 6 x 400m at 5k pace (8:45) with 200m recovery. Followed that up with a one mile cool down along the East River.

All in all, didn't feel horrible, which isn't saying much considering I haven't done any serious intervals for a few weeks. Last week, I limited my runs to a few short, slow 4-5 milers. Not very fun, but practical considering the state of my knees. However, with this weekend's 15K rapidly approaching I wanted to gauge where my pace was at and also decide if I needed to sit this race out. As much as I've been looking forward to running a race that ISN'T during a snowpocalypse, can't justify blowing out my knee due to stubbornly ignoring my pain. My (overly?) ambitious goals of running my first marathon this fall and the Comrades in 2011 are just slightly dependent on having functioning joints.

What are your running/exercise goals for 2010?

Running was the last thing on my mind Saturday as I nursed the hangover from hell, but by Sunday I was hydrated, rested, and ready to go! Set out in the afternoon over to the East River and ran up past Stuytown and Peter Cooper to tack on an extra mile then turned around to head down to the Battery. I think all of NYC was out for a run/walk/bike/etc yesterday afternoon, including 5 million tourists who would NOT GET OUT OF MY WAY. Angstangst. Headed uptown along the Westside Highway for a few miles than cut across town on Houston St. to head back to my apartment. Used the stop and go of running city blocks as a chance to throw in some intervals. Ran at 5K pace until I hit a stop light - definitely took some effort since my legs were pretty tired by that point. Ended up running a skotch over 10 miles at ~9:50. Nothing spectacular in terms of time, which was fine since it was supposed to be a long slow run. Major victory that my knees didn't hurt too badly the next day thanks to icing and dosing with Mortin like a semi-responsible person.

After yesterday's long run, I'm feeling pretty solid that I'll be able to finish the 15K without screwing up my knees further (knock on wood). However, I'm going to have to wave goodbye to my goal of running the race at a ~8:50 pace. Sadly that will have to be left for another day, perhaps the Brooklyn Half Marathon in May!

5 comments:

  1. This weekend was epicly beautiful. Entertaining was waking up to find Tim, Tash, and I all getting ready to go for a run. We all went separately, which was perhaps unwise in terms of making sure people had a key. Things I saw along my run: 1st half- Capitol hill, eastern market, springtime beauty, marathoners/half-marathoners brunching. 2nd half- tea-baggers, immigration protests setting up, and anti-war crazies, not to mention a number of terrified tourists. Oh dc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ran about 33-34 miles this week because of the nice weather. Goals for 2010? Keep the running consistent through the spring and summer, especially with the nice weather. I already feel much healthier and get better sleep than I did only a few weeks ago.

    This will be you: http://i44.tinypic.com/mcck5i.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monica — love the blog, and it sounds like you're kicking ass in your training. Good luck on the 15K! Makes sense to be conservative given the knee issue, but I'm sure you'll have fun if it's beautiful outside.

    As for my goals, I'm coming off a layoff and looking toward the Freedom's Run half in October. It's nice to have a car/access to races outside the city! West Virginia, here I come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My running goals for 2010... hahahahahahhahah. Okay, but I do still want to run a short race with you before you leave? I'd be willing to do a 5K or 4 miler sometime in April? Please send me some details (and a preemptive ice pack?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous that you three get to run in DC in the spring! Cherry blossoms! Monuments! Tourists? Meh.

    Maddie, glad you like the blog :) The half in WVA sounds like a lot of fun. We'll have to try and find a race for you, Emi, and I to do sometime this spring/summer!

    And Dash, it took me a few seconds to figure out who you were with that sneaky moniker. There's the JPM 4M on April 11 but I think you'll be in Philly that weekend. We'll figure something out before you peace!

    ReplyDelete