Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

All my runner ladies

Courtesy of Kim, a great article on "8 Wonder Foods for Female Runners." These days it's impossible to pick up an issue of Runners World or troll a running blog without reading an article on the best foods, ingredients, or crazy Native American protein powders to supplement your running and maximize performance. However, many of them force readers to search out ingredients that you could only maybe find in your local veganlocavorefairtradesustainablyorganic market. Eh, that sounds like far too much effort. This article offers accessible advice for health conscious runners, and some tasty recipes to help you tap the various benefits of several foods. Although the author gears the article towards female runners' needs, the nutrition tips are applicable for most athletes. Pretty sure pomegranates' antioxidant power doesn't gender discriminate.

Personally, I'm usually slightly skeptical of the ever changing "food of the day", preferring to focus on eating well balanced meals full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and MEAT. Hey, I'm a growing girl - I need my protein. Speaking of healthy running snacks, spent Memorial Day having a much needed bakeathon and whipped up a massive batch of my favorite whole wheat muffins. NYTimes' Mark Bittman posted this recipe a few months ago, and it's absolutely one of the most flexible quick-breads I've tried. The recipe can hold up to 3/4 cup of whatever add-ins you like, giving you so many yummy variations! For the past month, I've been itching to get my hands on all the fresh berries abounding in my farmer's market. So Monday I picked up some fresh blueberries, threw in a handful of oatmeal and poof! oatmeal, blueberry whole wheat muffins. Definitely my new favorite combination!

What recipes are you dying to try this summer?

3 comments:

  1. So so many recipes- strawberry icebox cake, pretzels, irish car bomb cupcakes, shaved asparagus pizza, and countless more recipes that i've bookmarked at work. Maddie and I today discussed having top chef watch parties with related pot luck dinner style challenges- all are more than welcome to join

    ReplyDelete
  2. two things: A, you know I don't do this whole "cooking" thing. B, I am a tag! And I have been tagged slightly more frequently than Kylie Minogue!

    Also, I still think you should mention that National Running Day is YOUR BIRTHDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blueberry? Oatmeal? Muffins? Um, yes please. Plus, Mark Bittman is a hottie!

    This summer, I'll be making bitchloads of veggie recipes. We're subscribing to a CSA, so if you have exciting ideas about leafy greens, I'd love to hear them. :) P.S.: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete