Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Motivation FAIL

I do not want to go running today. There, I've said it. Most days I anxiously watch the clock for 5 or 6pm to roll around, then bound downstairs to the gym, eager to conquer new distances and shatter PBs. Or at the very least take a much needed break from my cubicle. Not today. Maybe it's simply exhaustion or the 19 miles I've run in the past 3 days or, quite honestly, the bottles of wine the girls and I killed last night. Whatever the cause, no amount of DC (Diet Coke for non-addicts) or coffee can shake my lethargy.

So what's a tired runner to do? My deeply ingrained Catholic guilt won't allow me to happily skip a day of training, so I could force myself to slog through today's scheduled 6 mile run. However, the last thing I want is to turn running into an odious chore, just another to-do on my endless stickie lists. Separation makes the heart grow fonder right? Well at the very least it'll give my tired legs a rest.

So I think I will grudgingly take the day off. Instead of hitting the treadmill, I'll leave the office a little early (!!), perhaps indulge in retail therapy, make these tasty looking granola bars, and bake some IRISH CAR BOMB CUPCAKES for Sunday's Super Bowl party. Surprisingly there are other activities that can be just as unwinding as running.

On a parting note, for those interested in the science of fitness and speed, the New York Times had a very good article on peak performance and weight loss yesterday. For runners, the general rule of thumb is that for every 1% decrease in body weight, you can expect a 1% decrease in time. While I may not run to lose weight, the lure of dropping my race times is very tempting. However, the article is quick to point out that losing pounds past one's ideal weight can be equally detrimental to performance as carrying an extra few. So don't worry, Emi, there will be no intentional return to the Lau coffee diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment