Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You are cordially invited...

...to come running with me! Let's be honest, slogging through long runs is infinitely more fun with a friend or 10. Sometimes you really need to dig deep and retreat inwards to gut out a hard run, but more often than not any distraction is a welcome one.

Even if you're not a runner (yet), be warned that I will most likely attempt to harass you into doing a race with me. Just ask my roomie. Christina's been such a good sport, tolerating my spandex taking up every free hook in the bathroom not to mention my uncontrollable irrational post run HUNGER. Now she's let me heckle her into some races. Edling's committed to doing a few 5ks once the weather warms up
a bit. Can't wait! Time to get the rest of the NYC Georgetown mafia to trade in their drinking stilettos for sneakers on a Sunday morning. I promise we can still go to AYCD brunch after.

Sadly in the post-college life, I'm separated by more than just a quick subway ride from most of my closest friends. However, planning reunions around races combines the best of both worlds - quality time with my friends and more training/racing opportunities to take my running to the next level. Super excited that Kim will be joining Smithies and I for the 15K in March, and glad she wasn't scared off after our first 15K experience back in December during SNOWPOCALYPSE v1.0.

Speaking of which, a trip to Philly in May for the Broad Street 10 Mile has just been added to the spring racing schedule. Kim, Mike, and I will brave the 30,000 (!!!) other runners to take a scenic, and hopefully fast, tour through Philadelphia's diverse neighborhoods. Kim and I are also flirting with the idea of popping down to DC the day before to join Emily and Kenneth for RunAmuck Mud Run. RunAmuck is "a challenging 5K run with hills, tire obstacles, river crossings, walls, ropes, and MUD." Come on - mud pits and a costume competition? That sounds like SO MUCH FUN! Yes, I am basically a five year old.

Any races you're especially excited about this spring?

Coming up this weekend is the NYRR Al Gordon Classic, a 4 mile race in Prospect Park. Greg, Kristy, and I will be there and hopefully you! My muscles cringe a bit at the thought of climbing those hills again, but after last weekend's 10 miler this should be easy peasy lemon squeezy. Please, please, please go watch In the Loop IMMEDIATELY if you do not get that reference.

4 comments:

  1. Tim B is also doing the Broad St. run, and has told Steph that he is going to win the race. So...we'll have a pretty interesting group for that race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am alive after my 4 day bachelor party I'll do the Broad street run too. But that's going to be difficult, difficult, lemon difficult

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome that Tim B's doing it as well! Hopefully he doesn't streak like at RFL sophomore year...

    Um yeah Greg, you're sitting this one out. The only running you'll be doing is to the liquor store when y'all run out of booze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running a bachelor's party through the mud drunk might be funny though...also, I already briefed Steph on Tim's last epic running appearance...

    ReplyDelete