Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Friday, April 2, 2010

Home is where the Diet Coke is

As you can see from the lovely tree in our front yard, spring is in full bloom here in the pseudo-South. I tore myself away from the city for the weekend and am back in Alexandria to catch up with my family. And raid their cupboards.

Although it may only be the beginning of April, it certainly felt like freaking summer on my run yesterday. I fueled up with a tasty whole grain salad from the Whole Foods salad bar (Paul, I now understand how it is your crack) then set off on a nice 6 mile run down the GW parkway to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. The weather definitely impacted my speed a bit since I'm not used to running in 80degree weather yet. Give me a snowpocalypse any day! Well, maybe not. Wished I had brought a water bottle with me around mile 3, but luckily the park service has turned the water fountains back on along the trail. That is one thing I definitely miss when running in NYC. For long runs, you're practically forced to carry a water bottle since fountains are few and far between. I'll have to pull off some logistical feats to stay hydrated and fed once I start racking up 15+ mile runs this summer.

What's your favorite time of the year to go running?

Only a short post for now, my nieces are shouting up the stairs for "Auntie Monica." That makes me feel awfully old... Going to sneak in a 12 mile long run this afternoon or tomorrow. Perfect way to enjoy the weather!

6 comments:

  1. Yesterday I went for a short jog in Central Park (behind Bethesda Fountain of course since that's still my favorite place) and ran into Bradley Cooper... yet another reason why running rocks my socks! Wish you were with me for the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally getting you one of these ( http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/helium_h2o.html;jsessionid=0a01034d1f432ba508f0fdc749c1ba5d840999f994af.e3eSbNmTb3mTe34Pa38Ta38SbNn0 ) for your birthday! They're SUPER COOL LOOKING, but functional at least...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly gave my mom a heart attack when I went out for a run yesterday, but discovered suburbia running = slightly more difficult than in the city. Highways, hills, and unexpected construction sights make things difficult. Though I did make some new friends who helped me out of the mud...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Yay Hoya alum run-ins! I'm sorry to have missed that eye candy; we'll have to go stalking when I'm back...

    2. Kimi-chan, that would be the BEST present ever! I've flirted with getting one for a while, but survived in the winter since my jacket and spandex had pockies. Not so much with shorts and a running bra...

    3. Umm story time please - new friends? Hills can be good though, gotta mix up that routine. Or kill your quads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I cannot comment on running, I do have to say that the weather was quite spectacular this weekend. I celebrated it by getting a very awkward red neck farmer's tan while bbq-ing at the lake. Don't worry though, I hear it's supposed to get back down to 50 this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha they're building a 2nd school near my house on the fields of another that we used to cut through to get home, evidently there is no longer any sort of path or even grass through now. After some pitiful looks and me trying to express that I lived just over there to some construction workers who clearly spoke little english, they stopped their machines and let me through for a bit. Had to make things interesting right?

    ReplyDelete