Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Thursday, April 29, 2010

MCM history lesson courtesy of Kim!

So as Monica announced, the two of us are now officially committed to running the 35th Marine Corps Marathon on Halloween in Arlington and Washington, DC. I’ve been set on running it since about December, and am super excited that Monica will be joining (I can’t say I expect to be able to keep up with her…I have no desire to do anything but finish, and maybe not be picked up by the stragglers’ bus at mile 20). I’ve been marginally involved with the MCM for the past two years through running the MC10K, which is held at the same time as the marathon, and ends up at Iwo Jima a couple hours before the first marathon finishers cross the line.

The MCM bills itself as “the People’s Marathon,” primarily because it doesn’t do anything to try to attract professional runners—there is no prize money, and no appearance fees paid to the professionals who boost the standing of some other marathons which will remain unnamed in case I ever decide to run them. As a result, I think the MCM is about as unintimidating as you can get for marathons (you know, one you get over the fact that it’s a marathon and all).

Despite the lack of big names and prize money, the MCM is one of the biggest marathons in the country, with about 20,000 finishers (at least according to Wikipedia). This year, it sold out in less than 6 DAYS, which means there are 30,000 people set to start training. The marathon is always run on the last Sunday of October, and that weekend in DC, it’s pretty easy to pick out at least a few dozen people in town for the marathon (not including the thousands flocking to the convention center or armory, which normally host race packet pickups, and which have now successfully motivated me to make the jump from the 10K to the marathon).

The MCM manages to hit a ridiculous amount of DC landmarks on a loop around the Mall and Capitol, at least two bridge crossings (I think there’s more, but the last time I watched the 4+ minute video just tracing the course, I started getting tired, so let’s avoid that for now—the video is actually being updated, so no links available). I’m looking forward to the loop around the reservoir and through M Street, personally.

The MCM will be set up at the expo for the Broad Street Run, so as Mon put it, “we can be sketchy and excited super early and take tons of pictures for the blog!” It’ll be nice to get an early dose of enthusiasm, too.

Registration for the Marines Corps 10K opens on May 5th. Everyone who isn’t quite ready for a marathon, but looking for a great race should sign up!

In any case, I’ll be needing some serious encouragement through this process, and hope that I’ll see you all at the finish line!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm can I just run the last 5 miles with you instead? That sounded like more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I would LOVE to have you run with us, there are a couple things that might complicate that:

    A, we are not going to be finishing around the same time.
    B (1), did we see anywhere officially that says you're allowed to do that? I'm not sure how they would prevent you from joining in, but at the same time they generally try to keep things pretty controlled. And there are a lot of Marines involved, and I generally try to listen to them haha.
    B (2), at the finish, they pretty much feed you straight through the corrals for medals, etc. Trying to think how you would be able to get out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh Marines !! Because I won't be around when ya'll are running it, let me say it now: "Good luck, kick ass, and take names!"

    ReplyDelete