Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Corpse colored hot pockets aka Kim's foray into barefoot running!

Continuing with the past week's theme of running accouterments, today Kim dissects her first crack at barefoot running. Beat me to it! Oh and sadly I wasn't creative enough to come up with the phrase "corpse-colored hot pockets" to describe the Vibram FiveFinger gloves; credit goes to the crazy reviewers at Runner's World for the most apt description ever.

Hi everyone! Back for guest post numero dos, on something that seems to be stirring up a lot of attention lately: barefoot running. In the past two to three weeks, I've seen two huge articles about the idea that maybe we weren't built to use extremely padded running shoes, another on what walking in heels does to one's foot over time, gone on a soul/sole-searching quest to get Monica new running shoes, and managed to get into a position where I attempted a barefoot run myself.

First, we set the stage with Monica's quest for new shoes, which ended successfully (see her post below), and demonstrated how big of a difference the right pair can make when running insanely long distances (or short ones!). If you've ever ended up with ankle or knee pain from running, chances are you may part of the majority of the population whose feet either overpronate (ankle turns too far inward) or supinate (ankle turns too far outward). The trick to being able to run comfortably is usually thought to be the correct pair of shoes, which can help you correct your stride to be more neutral and place less stress on your joints...

Or maybe not! There have been small pockets of barefoot running devotees forever, and Abebe Bikila even won the 1960 Olympic marathon in Rome running barefoot, but I'd say that the new interest peaked with the release of Born to Run, about the Tarahumara of Mexico who basically run ultras for fun, in little to no shoes. So, when Monica's mom forwarded this article, and I ran into this one a day later, it didn't seem all that odd.
The theory goes that while wearing shoes, you put too much pressure on your heels striking the pavement. If you run barefoot, you shift the impact more towards the balls of your feet, roll them, and generally move in a more evolutionary natural way. Is it true? Arguable. But, each time I bus on up to NYC for another NYRR race, the number of people running in Vibram FiveFingers or Nike Frees seems to increase. And our lovely tester-of-all-things-running Monica has started saying it'd be something she wants to try.

So, when I accidentally left my running shoes down the shore (whoops) and set out to run 6 miles in old shoes from crew (let's recall that crew is more of a horizontally oriented sport), it wasn't long before I was ready to stop running because I'm now incapable of running without my lovely Asics. There is nothing that will make you want to stop running more than imminent blisters. Around the same time, I was moving inside for my last two miles (still training my asthmatic lungs to deal with humidity). The idea that immediately pops into my head is to finish up the last two miles barefoot. Good plan?

Eh, mediocre plan. One caveat most people will note about barefoot running is that it takes some getting used to. I learned a lot about my stride in those two miles, including that I drag my feet horrifically. Poor form aside, you can definitely tell the difference between what feels natural in shoes and what feels most comfortable without them--I found myself on the front outsides of my feet looking more like a dancer doing a terrible job at leaping than a runner. Overall, I'd probably try a pair of "barefoot" shoes on short distances, and stick to my nice support shoes for longer ones. The muscles used in running without shoes change pretty dramatically, and I woke up sore on Wednesday to atone for throwing my body into something it wasn't used to.

The real solution? Just run on the beach!

5 comments:

  1. props to you for trying ! I played frisbee barefoot last week and can still barely walk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because evidently all I'm doing today is reading about barefoot running, it appeared on my resident style blog:
    http://www.caphillstyle.com/capitol/2010/7/22/fitness-fashion-week-running-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runners' feet are already always beat-up and in dire need of a pedicure, so I'd be scared to remove all the protective cushioning that keeps the pavement from uglifying my feet to death.

    Vanity aside, I'm pretty impressed that you ran two miles barefoot! Sounds like it was an intense workout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely ridiculous how many barefoot things have been in the news/on the internet lately.

    And Maddie...I was inside on a treadmill, so that helped. But, I was also adjusting my stride so I didn't stomp, as our treadmill is on the second floor and my parents were downstaris...so maybe a repeat trial when they're not in the house is necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim!
    I can maybe make it 5 minutes running in the sand and then I DIE. You girls are in such better shape!

    ReplyDelete