Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Friday, July 23, 2010

Forget about the pain, this is the Comrades

Time for a Comrades geography lesson! Last night after straggling home from my abysmally painful track workout (5 miles of 800m sprints in July is always a stupid idea, FYI), I cuddled up in bed with my laptop to watch The Long Run. The movie tells the story of a grizzled, veteran running coach who was never able to complete Comrades, but pins all his hopes on a new prodigy who has the raw running talent to be the top woman at Comrades . Okay, so the acting was meh and their depiction of distance runners occasionally left something to be desired, but the movie did me give a taste of what to expect from the race course.

Oh, and the hills. THE HILLS. As silly as it sounds, it's not the 56 miles that truly frightens me. If I run slow enough, I can chug along seemingly endlessly. No, it's the brutal, punishing, steep uphills that leave me feeling nauseated. Allow me to digress for a moment and give you the highlight reel of impossible hills we're going to be forced to climb (or crawl) up.
  1. Cowies Hill: In The Long Run, Comrades is on a down year so the race concludes with the dreaded Cowie's. For us, this is the first major hill we tackle, but from all accounts it's the easiest - a gradual, winding slope. It still takes ~10km to get through, but compared to what comes next it's a cake-walk.
  2. Fields Hill: A little ways after the half-marathon mark, you hit the first killer hill - Fields, which is practically a straight vertical ascent for 2km followed by a quick descent for 5km. I can hear my quads and knees crying already. There's no real rest for the weary for as soon as you think you've earned a respite, Botha's hits you with the next uphill.
  3. Valley of a Thousand Hills: In Cry, the Beloved Country, Alan Paton wrote "There is a lovely road that runs from Ixopo into the hills. These hills are grass-covered and rolling, and they are lovely beyond any singing of it." Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to appreciate the beauty of the scenery, but around mile 40 when you hit Paton's landscape, I'll probably be more interested in throwing myself down a hill rather than admiring it.
  4. Polly Shortts: Oh Polly, you sound so cute and harmless. False. Once you hit the "Little Pollys,"it's a grueling 20km climb to the finish line in Pietermaritzburg. Someone better be prepared to carry me up those hills.
I'm officially scared shitless. End story. Amby Burfoot, an accomplished American marathoner, once commented about Comrades that the "Up run is just one big piece of hard work. It keeps coming at you and coming and coming, and it never gives you a break. Never." Great. Good thing I'm a masochist? Burfoot finished his Up Comrades a few years ago, sneaking in under the 12 hour deadline with a nice 50 minutes to spare. My goal is less ambitious - a time of 11:59:59 will suit me just fine.

11 comments:

  1. Noooooooo, I'm just a little over-ambitious. Realizing more and more that all I am going to be able to do from October - May is eat, sleep, work, and run. Rinse and repeat. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's reflect upon the fact that a "hill" in this definition more usually falls under the categorization of "the entire race".

    ReplyDelete
  3. After watching that movie I'm starting to stress out. But we can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 12 miles uphill? Yeaaaaaah. Kimi-chan, how do you feel about running up and down the Harlem hill with me for like, oh I don't know, 30 times?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this quote:

    "Speaking of the Boston Marathon, one of the toughest parts of that race is famously known as Heartbreak Hill. There are hills of the same size on the Comrades course that “don’t even register on the map,” said David Courtney"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to take you for a pedicure once you're back in the States after this monster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like I said Mon, we're going on a field trip to my monster hill for cross country sometime in September. And bringing a hipnic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hipster running picnic!! So so so excited, Kimi-chan.

    Hehehe, thanks, L. I'm going to need the pedi to end all pedis, assuming I have any toenails left...ewwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hirupnic?

    Also found a train within me picking you up distance on NJ Transit from Penn Station, sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha that sounds like some sort of vicious hiccup. Awesome on the train, we just need to pick a weekend in Sept!

    ReplyDelete