Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Friday, August 27, 2010

In it for the long haul

Clad in spandex and armed only with $20, a Metro card, iPod, and an energy gel, I ventured out into the quiet pre-dawn New York streets to take on the 20 mile run, the heart of marathon training. It's been a long time since I've felt this nervous about a race or run, but the 20 miler is an entirely different physical and, more importantly, mental beast than your typical long run. This is the farthest distance that most recreational marathoners will run before the actual race, and in some ways is even more difficult than a marathon as you lack the crowd support and adrenaline to spur you onwards. However, I'm very happy to report that my run went fantastic and has left me feeling much more confident in my ability to cross the finish line on October 31.

Unlike my usual waterfront runs, this morning I spent half of my route trotting up Lexington and Park Avenues and through Central Park. Streets that are normally crammed with tourists and hustling New Yorkers were eerily quiet at 5am; it was almost as though I was alone in the city. As I climbed up a hilly section of Park Avenue, I watched the sun rise above the UES - absolutely beautiful and about as close as I've ever come to a spiritual experience. Today's run reminded me why I love the sport so much; running offers you the chance to really appreciate the sacred in the profane and get intimately acquainted with your home turf. The miles literally just melted away as I was too preoccupied in admiring Grand Central sans tourists, taking in the Met's architecture, or chasing pigeons across the trail.

Alright enough romanticizing, as soon as my runner's high wears off I will not be reminiscing so poetically about this morning. Here are a few of my useful takeaways from today's run:
  1. Plan ahead. There's a reason distance running appeals to so many Type A, OCD individuals... Running for hours on end requires a strategy! And organization! YAY. Preparation is critical for a successful 20 miler. Map your route ahead of time, lay out your clothes and gear the night before, think about the timing of fuel intake, etc. If you take care of these tasks before you hit the road, you'll free yourself up to focus on quality running!

  2. Experiment. One of the cardinal rules of marathons is DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY. The last thing you want to do at the marathon is mess around with new shoes, food, pacing, etc. So take advantage of your weekly long runs to experiment with everything from your morning pre-run routine to the best blister-preventing socks.

    After a lot of trial and error, I think I've finally found a solid food/hydration plan for my long runs. While most energy gels make my stomach upset (and taste ridiculously gross), slowly eating a Clif Shot over the course of a mile or two is gentle enough for me to handle and provides a good supply of simple carbohydrates to keep my legs going after I burn through my breakfast. I follow up the gel with a huge Gatorade courtesy of the nearest bodega, which I'll nurse for the second half of the run. Remember - if you're running for longer than 75 minutes, always start consuming calories after the first 30-60 minutes. You'll set yourself up for a bonked run if you wait till your legs are already dead. Not even a Gatorade mainline will save you then.

  3. Refuel. Most runners are pretty good about carbing up before a long run or race, but it's equally important to replenish your body's depleted glycogen stores within 15-60 minutes post-run. Look for drinks (or make your own!) with a good mix of protein and carbohydrates. Doing so will drastically cut down on fatigue over the next 24 hours and help rebuild muscle fibers. My personal fave is a big glass of chocolate milk, which studies have shown is actually one of the best recovery drinks. Yum! Runner's World also has some great tips for general post-run recovery that I definitely recommend checking out.



  4. Restraint. One of the most common mistakes among first-time marathoners is running too fast during their long run. Long runs should be taken a minute or so slower than your planned marathon pace, or 1 1/2 - 2 minutes slower than your best 10K time. Running slowly minimizes your chances of injury (obviously a valid concern when running crazy length distances), and is an opportunity to get your body accustomed to moving for 3+ straight hours, a benefit that cannot be overestimated on race day. Save your sprinting flats and rage runs for tempo/track work days - there it's totally acceptable!
Happy running this weekend, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. Huh, I hadn't realized that the MCM was being run on Halloween! Are you planning on wearing a costume—or at least some kind of ridiculous spandex?

    Congrats on the kick-ass run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at that map scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Dasha, that's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when I woke up and was going to attempt this I realized I could no way in hell remember where you actually went, so ran in a box instead. I think I win for moving for 3 hours continuously though--small steps. I think we'd already decided I couldn't pull off 20 from where I am now. I DID finish my longest run that I forced myself to do rather than signed up for though! Knees are still sadface though :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm yes - moving in small steps for 3 hours is a definite run. Even if it wasn't 20 miles, it's still longer than a half, which is all that matters. Next 20 miler is on the 19th!!

    ReplyDelete