Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Monday, August 9, 2010

Updates (and advice) to the face

Looking back over my last couple posts, I realize that I've been a bit remiss in writing about how the actual MCM training is going. You know, the point (partly) of this blog? My bad. So time for a training update. I'm officially 4 1/2 weeks through my training schedule aka there are exactly 80 days until the Marine Corps Marathon. OMFG. Just vocalizing that pushed me slightly towards a panic attack.

Truthfully I've been fairly diligent at sticking to the training plan I outlined back in July. In total I've logged 114 miles since July 12. I've slogged through at least one easy run each week (those Friday ones somehow always seem to get dropped for drinks...) and have busted out my stopwatch for weekly speed sessions at the 8th St. Track, which is delightfully close to our new apartment. Cross training has gone remarkably well - light strength training and biking twice a week will hopefully decrease my chances of injury. Fingers crossed.

Unsurprisingly the biggest challenge has been finding the time to squeeze in my long runs. Between going away dinners, birthday parties, and the MOVE FROM HELL, my weekends have been crammed full with non-running friendly activities. So far I've only missed one long run, which isn't too shabby. This past Sunday, I completed a 16 mile run - the farthest yet - and in a few short weeks I have my first 20 miler. Out of my mind. Thankfully I'll be dialing back the mileage a bit this weekend for the Bronx Half Marathon.

So after a solid month of marathon training, I feel unjustifiably cocky enough to dole out some advice on useful training tips:
  1. Do your long run every week! This is hands down the most important part of marathon training, for obvious reasons.
  2. Tap your inner only-child and learn to enjoy spending time by yourself. Unless you're lucky enough to have an entertaining running partner, you'll be spending a lot of solo time on the road. Audio books, language lessons, Euro trash playlists, and your own thoughts will become your new best friends.
  3. Invest in good socks. I know this may sound silly, but seriously, I spent what seemed like an exorbitant amount on wicking running socks a few months ago and my feet have never been happier. Haven't had a single blister! And yes, that was the first image of "happy feet" I could find that wasn't a penguin.

However, there have definitely been a few mishaps since I started training... Here are some of my "bright" ideas to avoid like the plague:
  1. Heavy drinking the night before your long run.
  2. Heavy drinking in general.
  3. Running 16 miles. Hungover. At 2pm in the 95 degree heat. Without a water bottle. In other words, being a bloody idiot.
  4. Wearing light colored running bras... Ladies, running (or ever) is not a time you want to be soliciting awk creeper chest level stares due to unexpected nippage so either layer up or just wear black.
What tips to do y'all have for training?

Have a few backlogged posts on Comrades, FOOD, and other super cool races that I promise to post in the next week or so.

P.S. Less than a month till Comrades sign-up begins. AHHH.

6 comments:

  1. 1. You have never had trouble channeling your inner only child. I'm sure you just start speaking arabic to yourself on your runs (probably attract a few stares in the process, be careful around the WTC site)
    2. I (unsurprisingly) love your happy feet
    3. Were these bad ideas just hitting you now? I think you have a previous post about the wisdom of running hungover...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it a bad sign that I haven't gotten a single long run in yet. Oh well, that'll change Sunday! PS I might be meeting you at the finish line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emi, you speak the truth. I've definitely had those important life/running revelations before but let's be honest, we both know that I don't learn from my mistakes.

    And Kim, I sent you that link to the one month marathon training plan! You've got pleeeenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I veto the "no running in light running bra's." You are removing one of my primary visual entertainment sources for the week if that happens

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a creeper. You realize that brings you down to the level of construction workers who catcall, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: paragraph 3 of this post — You are the most efficient person I know, given how much time you're at work in addition to social/apartment-changing considerations. You've only missed ONE long run so far?

    I'm impressed. I bow down before you. That is all.

    ReplyDelete