Start: 05h30 at the City Hall in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Finish: 17h30 at Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead in Durban, South Africa
Distance: 89km – 56 miles

Monday, August 16, 2010

Why MTA is the bane of my existence

This past Sunday, Kim and I put on our gamefaces and braved New York's northern most borough for the NYRR Bronx Half Marathon. The race itself went remarkably well. The weather calmed itself down to the mid-70s, Kim didn't die of an asthma attack, and I restrained the urge to run fast, keeping a consistent, slow pace throughout all of the very hilly 13.1 miles. The course was a little...interesting. Took place mainly in residential neighborhoods, some sketchier than others, with quite a few turn-around points and unexpectedly lots of hills. Overall, it was solid training run and I would have given the whole experience a gold star if it weren't for the SUBWAY RIDE OF DOOM.

Now what should have been a straightforward, albeit hour long trip, to the Bronx turned into a two-hour one way ticket to transportation meltdown. Efficiency is not MTA's strong suite it seems. Things started off poorly when Trip Planner blatantly lied to us and left us stranded in the sweltering Union Square stop, waiting close to 30 minutes for the 4 train. Of course upon arriving, the 4 train is 1. packed and 2. going local. Yessssssss, nothing better than a 30 stop trip to the hood. At this point, my inner punctuality freak was stressing slightly that we'd be cutting it close to the start, but I reassured myself that as long as the rest of the trip went smoothly we'd have a few minutes before the gun went off to hit baggage check and stretch.

False. Two stops and 20 minutes away from the race's start, the train conductor announced that due to MTA's epic timeliness fail they were going to expedite the train's route and skip the next couple of stops. WTF. There were maybe a handful of non-runners on the train at 6:45am. So a few hundred NYRRs were forced to chill out on the platform waiting for a new train that would deign to stop at Bedford Boulevard. End story, Kim and I missed the start by 20 minutes and were just 10 minutes shy of them shutting down the starting gate.

Oh, and post-race there were no Manhattan bound trains at our station. Silly me, why ever would I want to go back to the island. So we had the "privilege" of going to the end of the 4 line. I'm just glad we're still alive.

To best express my RAGE towards MTA, I'm offering you a little photographic homage to Sunday's misadventures. Or I'm just looking for an excuse to dabble in Paint after reading waaaay too many Hyperbole and a Half posts. If you, haven't seen this blog, stop what you're doing immediately (well after you finish reading and commenting on my post) and go to this site. Guaranteed hours of procrastination.

1. Chaos after ALL the runners were kicked off the train two stops away from the race with less than 15 minutes till the start. Not okay, MTA.

2. Kim really didn't want her face in this one for some reason. And I was haterading on the world/SO SAD that we missed the start of the race.
3. Awww we've pulled ourselves out of the hate spiral enough for a loveydovey photo.

4. No idea. Whatever, bet this luchador knew better than to trust MTA to deliver his spandex clad ass to the race on time.

7 comments:

  1. It was because I wasn't looking!

    Also I'm glad you caught the luchador, I was going to comment that I saw him if you hadn't. Did you catch the guy running legit barefoot in probably the top tenth of finishers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, sure. Well you got a faceout either way.

    And yes, of course. I thought posting a photo of him was particularly appropriate given the number of times you've gone to La Lucha on race weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...every single race weekend? If I wasn't so averse to foursquare I'd probably be mayor.

    And I guess this is your way of punishing me for not letting you post photos. This is probably worse than the original photo, so I'll have to be more careful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hyperbole and a Half is a good find—looks like an effective procrastination tool to me! But if your doctored photos had included more vulgarities, I'd have thought you were imitating Perez Hilton.

    Either way, nice work/sorry about the evil subway rides. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to copy hyperbole =)
    love it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maddie, I was tempted to go the Perez route but then I remembered my parents occasionally frequent my blog and that just seemed like a poor life decision. Hehehee.

    Dash, I PROMISE my incredibly long overdue guest post will be arriving shortly. You know, now that you're back from Italy.. Gah. To quote H & 1/2, "I am filled with shame and self loathing."

    Emi, dearest, while yes, I am a HUGE nerd, this is by far not one of my nerdiest posts. And come on, you love me in all my nerdy glory.

    ReplyDelete